Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tai Chi, Hard Work, and Diet

Oftentimes one thinks of Tai Chi and you get images of elderly folks flowing effortlessly through some choreography. A good exercise for your arthritis but nothing terrifically demanding. However, nothing could be further from the truth. If you practice a Tai Chi form with your knees well bent and your movements slow and steady then you will work hard!
Your legs and back will shake from exertion. You will feel burn in your legs, back, and abdomen. The movements combined with the standing posture practices will make your legs and core very very strong. For a long time I practiced Tai Chi in a high stance and got little benefit. Now that I have learned about low stance training I'm seeing huge gains in flexibility and strength as well as significant weight loss. I'm dropping pounds slowly but surely I'm below 300 lbs and I feel great.
Of course you may ask if I was always practicing and working out before now why did I become so overweight? Simple. No amount of exercise can make up for an abysmal diet filled with overeating and junk food. Garbage In, Garbage Out as the old computer adage goes. So I did five healthy things per day and then counteracted them with twenty unhealthy things. So now I strive to have a more balanced life. I work hard and train my Tai Chi to accomplish that goal. It's a great workout and as I have said before a companion for life!
Next time I'll talk a bit about my diet specifically and how it has helped me regain control of my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment